Real World Barrow

This is the true story of 5 gusties, picked to student teach in Barrow, Alaska... working together and having their lives changed forever to find out what happens when we stop teaching in Minnesota and start teaching in Barrow...this is the Real World: Barrow.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Study Breaks and Cultural Univerals

As with all things, sometimes you just need to take a break from it. Lesson planning is not an exception to this rule. Our planning breaks have included day to day things, such as going to the gym and playing pickup games of basketball with the college students, to more unusual events such as vacuum sealing Cassie in a plastic garbage bag. (I tried to upload the video of this classic moment, but the 2 and a half minute video was less than a quarter of the way finished when the timer hit the 3 hour mark. So I gave up.)

There are have been some things that have been foreign to us, such as eating Muktuk or seeing the price of milk at $10.99, but there have also been some things that are universal. One of the major things that I have noticed is with my students. The universal thing is how my 2nd graders see the world. They are so filled with life and energy, and wanting to succeed and learn. Nothing, not even a student throwing up on the indoor playground can phase this love of life and learning. It makes me absolutely sure that I made the right choice of profession. I think this is true, no matter where you are in the world.

Keep warm!

Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment