Real World Barrow

This is the true story of 5 gusties, picked to student teach in Barrow, Alaska... working together and having their lives changed forever to find out what happens when we stop teaching in Minnesota and start teaching in Barrow...this is the Real World: Barrow.

Monday, April 4, 2011

First Day in the School

Totes stoked. Uber pumped. Jacked. Saturated with effervescence.

However you want to put it, I am excited for the next six weeks after my first day in the classroom. Last month, the each student sent me a letter and a picture describing themselves, the school and Barrow and last week I sent a letter briefly introducing myself and answering a few of the questions that had asked. But today was the first day I got to meet my fifth graders in person and it was a blast! I always find it interesting that no matter what classroom I step into, I can always find students who have similar personality characteristics that I had when I was their age. It makes me want to teach them that much more.

This weekend was jam-packed with excitement, as Meredith and Trevor have already described, but I think I can speak for the five of us when I say that it was nice to just relax. All of us were pretty gassed by the end of the school day because of the adrenaline rush and also getting used to the time and sunlight difference. Unfortunately, the next few days we won't really be able to observe any teaching because the district is actually taking their Standard Based Assessments. It sounds like most of us will be monitoring the hall as this happens. However, it will be interesting to see the difference and similarities between the Alaska tests and the Minnesota tests.

One thing to look forward to this weekend is the Spring Festival. The city of Barrow will be holding tons of fun events to welcome spring and we will try to see as many as we can.

Until next time,

Kristian

No comments:

Post a Comment