Real World Barrow

This is the true story of 5 gusties, picked to student teach in Barrow, Alaska... working together and having their lives changed forever to find out what happens when we stop teaching in Minnesota and start teaching in Barrow...this is the Real World: Barrow.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Paammaagigniq and Nagliktuutiqagniq: Cooperation and Compassion

We have now spent three and a half weeks in the schools and gotten accustomed to many of the customs and traditions of the Inupiaq people. Two major values that have played a major role to me as a teacher are cooperation and compassion, or paammaagigniq and nagliktuutiqagniq. All of the people that I have met and worked with want to help me out any way that they can. Even if it is just offering to help me with the copy machine or holding the door for me when I'm carrying my lunch tray. I have tried to do the same thing. When people work together the tasks that need to get done, get done faster, and more joyfully.

Of course everyone that works at the school has to have a certain level of compassion for their work as well. And I have seen that most of the people at the school care an extraordinary amount about the wellbeing and learning environments of their students. This is a necessity for a great school. 100% of the staff has to care 100% of the time! I have seen these values in the school system here, and that is a great thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment