Real World Barrow

This is the true story of 5 gusties, picked to student teach in Barrow, Alaska... working together and having their lives changed forever to find out what happens when we stop teaching in Minnesota and start teaching in Barrow...this is the Real World: Barrow.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ice Breakers

'ello loyal blog followers,

My name is Brit and I'm here with the weather and ice story. Current temperature is -10 degrees F, but it feels like -32 degrees F. The sea has an ice thickness of 1.47 meters or 4 feet 7 inches. It might be awhile before we get to polar plunge into sea. There are no accurate predictions as to when the ice will break, but locals say that hopefully the end of May or June.

For the past few days, I've been intrigued by the whaling season of the Inupiat that has started this week. So intrigued that I decided to "break the ice" by having some conversations with teachers and students during the three-day study hall I'm running due to SBA testing. Here's what I found out:

Teacher #1: The community has the type of school that it whats. Where else are you going to find a school that excuses students because a whale is caught? Nothing will change about this school. It will always be second or third if athletics are included in this pageant.

Teacher #2: Whaling and basketball are like religions here. School is not important to some families, which is unfortunate. You'll see kids absent for 4 days out of the week and come back like it's no big deal. Their grades are hindered and time is short. It's really hard to get those student's grade up when they have missed so much.

Teacher #3: I have a lot of students that mosey on in late because they sleep in and have a hard time getting the sleep they need during whaling season. They think sleeping in is an excuse to not come to school. School is not a priority to them. What they don't understand is that they need to be here to.

Teacher #4: I've done the math. Over half of my students have close to 30 days of excused absences due to whaling and extracurricular activities. Whaling season is where you are going to see a dip in grades and everyone starts to slack off. I can't go at the same pace as I did in the fall. It's not feasible for anyone. Students are sleep deprived and distracted. The days are longer and it's harder for those students to show up to class.

Needless to say, teachers are not a big fan of whaling season. On one such case, a student asked if he could have the final early so he wouldn't have to show up in May. This student doesn't even have a decent grade to pass and for him to ask is slightly nerving.

Student #1: I love this time of the year. It's is a tradition that has been practice for years. I love helping my family and being apart of the whaling crew.

Student #2: I have been practicing sewing the waterproof stitches and the elders approved my work. I got to make a stitch on the boat! (Whaling boats are made of a wooden frame that has five-seven seal skins sewn together to cover the frame).

Student #3: This is a time for thanks and giving. Whaling gives me a very proud feeling of who I am. When a whale is brought in, we help each other. We bless the whale for its gift in giving itself to us and we share the whale with the community.

Students, on the other hand, enjoy this part of the year very much. I think its cool to see young people excited about their culture. In some cases, students do not respond as positively to their culture and traditions.

As the whaling season continues, I have occupied myself with a book titled: "Gift of the Whale: The Inupiat Bowhead Hunt, A Sacred Tradition." It has been very helpful in filling the voids of this tradition. The more I read from it, the less I want to study chemistry and complete my TPA.

Each whaling season has as set quota of how many whales can be struck or landed. Each village or community has numerous whaling crews which camp on the edge where ice meets ocean. At camp is their umiak (boat) with a spotter looking for breached whales. Bowhead whales can hold their breaths for up to 10-30 minutes and migrate from the Chukchi Sea to the Beaufort Sea this time of year. Once a whale is spotted, crew members jump into the boat and engage in a "cold" pursuit. I don't know what happens after that...I'm not done reading the book, [SPOILER ALERT!! SKIP TO THE NEXT PARAGRAPH IF YOU DON'T WANT ME TO RUIN THE ENDING!!] but eventually the whale is killed, brought back, and shared with the community.

I wish there could be a compromise between the school and the community. I feel as though the school always gets the shaft in these circumstances. I see education as a way to empower oneself and the community. Learn skills to help better your community! Don't quit school! Finish it and be proud of it! There has got to be a way to include both in this community.

As I think more about how this tradition is performed, the more appreciation I have for those involved. As I look out at the Chukchi Sea and see the massive ice shoves that have created 8m high piles of ice on the beach shore, I think of those "breaking trail" and constantly watching ice movements to find a safe campsite and lead. When the wind hits my face sending shivers throughout my body, I think of those that have been outside longer than me to keep this tradition alive.

Bundle up and stay classy,
Brit

P.S. First basketball game tonight! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment