Real World Barrow

This is the true story of 5 gusties, picked to student teach in Barrow, Alaska... working together and having their lives changed forever to find out what happens when we stop teaching in Minnesota and start teaching in Barrow...this is the Real World: Barrow.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Snow Sculpture in Sight! Woo, Afternoon Delight!

Hey there! Hi there! Hello there faithful blog readers!

My, what a lovely day it is in Barrow today. Current temperature is -11 degrees Fahrenheit with the windchill bringing it down to -32 degrees Fahrenheit, but the ever so misleading sun can fool you with it's sun rays. It will be a perfect day to go play in the snow and finish the snow sculpture!

I had been playing around an idea of building a snow sculpture in honor of the seniors that are graduating at Ilisagvik this April. Last night was the first day of constructing it. On my way out the door, I was greeted with ridicule of, "Why are you shoveling? You can't shoveling any of this snow. It's too hard," or "Who are you going to go kill?" I halfheartedly joked back and said that I'm going to go snow sculpting.

Armed with only a flat metal shovel, I scaled the massive snow pile that faces the college and began chipping away. A few college students and staff came out to the smoke shack and yelled at me to work on an already made block of snow that was on ground level. I shouted back, "But I want it up high so that everyone can see!!" and continued on chipping away the frozen ice and snow. One student came out and gave me a giant knife to carve the sculpture with, which worked like a charm! It was like slicing through butter with a knife.

I was joined later by reinforcements of Meredith and a really cool college student named Doria armed with a spoon. Doria thought that my idea was B.A. and soon both of them started helping me. By this time, a rough outline of the letter "I" and a whale tail was evident (Google Image: Ilisagvik College for a logo). Meredith went to work fine tuning the tail. Trevor arrived and work started to progress quickly, but it wasn't until Cassandra appear did it really all start to fall together. We (mostly Cass, Trevor, and Doria) hauled up a massive piece of snow/ice boulder to the top of the hill, which will eventually get sculpted into a polar bear today. With so many hands and brains on deck, we planned our move of action to clear other boulders around the sculpture to make it more apparent, cut deeper into the mountain for scale size, make the "I" more sharp, and possibly color the logo with a spray bottle, water and dye.

I'm not exactly sure how long I was out there, but the cold wasn't bad if you were working and my eyelashes and scarf were covered in ice. Eyelashes with ice=really pretty. Good thing the fashion world hasn't conveyed that idea. Doria, a native, complained about the cold before any of the Minnesotans, so we gave her a hard time. Her comeback, "I'm not native today!" :D

Keep it real,
Brit

No comments:

Post a Comment