Real World Barrow

This is the true story of 5 gusties, picked to student teach in Barrow, Alaska... working together and having their lives changed forever to find out what happens when we stop teaching in Minnesota and start teaching in Barrow...this is the Real World: Barrow.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Spirituality: Ukpiqqutiqagniq

Today, Trevor and I attended church with Liz, a staff member of the college.

Immediately upon our arrival, one girl came out and greeted Liz. Turns out, I have met this girl before at the...wait for it...middle school dance!! "I remember you!! Come on!" I struck up a conversation with this young girl about her MANY siblings and how she is moving in the end of May.

It was exactly what I needed. I always step into a church nervous because I don’t know what to expect. For the first time, it didn’t happen. I walked in and felt like at home. No nervousness, no anxiety…just free with joy beaming. I saw a few of my students so I briefly wished them a “Happy Easter” and soon found myself talking to the husband of the biology teacher! He asked me if I was going to come in and observe his wife's class. I explained that I didn’t want to be burden and that by the sound of things, she sounded busy and didn’t want me. He looked at me quite quizzically and said that he would talk to her. You don't know how stoked I would be for a biology class right about now.

Turns out the husband is the youth pastor and has briefly taken over the congregation because the previous pastor left in January. Their new one won’t come until June.

It opened up with a prayer from a elder of the church. She spoke first in English and then in Inupiaq, followed by music provided by the worship team and a choir. There weren’t matching robes, just ordinary people who love singing God’s word, song, and praise. It was just unbelievable! I was overcome by it all and just let go and enjoyed myself. The youth group did a skit that was just phenomenal!! The choreography was out of this world, complete with strobe lights, chains, and of course, the spirit. The church is small, but it was packed and I counted at least 17 people in the youth group—most of them I knew.

Another member of the church came to read a few scriptures, again English and Inupiaq. He mentioned that he was Inupiat and that their people are spiritual and they know the power of prayer. I had a few exchanges with this man as we wished each other a "Happy Easter" and joked about the Eggsravaganza that was going to take place later on today.

After everything was said and done, we helped stacked chairs, smiles were exchanged as well as farewells and hugs.

We arrived at the college totally eggstatic about our eggsperience as we tried to eggsplain the skit with our added eggcitement.

I don’t know how else to describe this moment, but I know I’m coming back next week.

P.S. Easter Brunch that the folks put on in the caf was AH-MAZING!! And some unknown person bought me lunch.

Happy Easter!

Have an eggstraordinary day!
Brit

No comments:

Post a Comment