Real World Barrow

This is the true story of 5 gusties, picked to student teach in Barrow, Alaska... working together and having their lives changed forever to find out what happens when we stop teaching in Minnesota and start teaching in Barrow...this is the Real World: Barrow.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Things You Take for Granted

I have done a pretty good job at annoying my peers by pointing out every bird that I see. They don't seem to find it quite as exciting as I do. Other than pet dogs and the guinea pigs we have in class, we have not seen a single animal up here until recently when the birds started to come back. Unless you really think about it, it is very odd not to see a single animal for a whole month. I think it's something that you really take for granted. I did not realize just how odd this was until I experienced it here. So I have been enjoying seeing all the birds coming back even if no one else is.

Another thing that is easy to take for granted is the dark. I am writing this right now at 2:45am and outside it looks like it is 6 or 7 at night. The constant light has really been messing with my sleeping patterns. It makes it very hard to fall asleep and remember to eat food. I have been to Alaska before during the summer but I was not affected as badly. I think it is because the other times I was here on vacation, where as this time I have an agenda and have to get up early. While the constant sunlight is pretty awesome, it definitely messes with your body.

This experience has of many things helped me to realize just how easy it is to take things for granted.

Later,
Cassandra

1 comment:

  1. I hope this all changes next Saturday. :D I'm tired of "caribou" looking things in the distance and false alarms about polar bears. POLAR BEAR!! Never mind.

    ReplyDelete