Real World Barrow

This is the true story of 5 gusties, picked to student teach in Barrow, Alaska... working together and having their lives changed forever to find out what happens when we stop teaching in Minnesota and start teaching in Barrow...this is the Real World: Barrow.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Whale - Round Two

So, as you have heard in the previous blogs I tried muktuk and it did not go so well. Today we heard that the mayor was serving the whale that he and his crew landed a couple of days ago. So we drove over to his house where they were serving pre-packaged (meaning a variation of different parts of whale in a plastic grocery bag) whale out of a card board box. Then they give us this soupy fruit drink in a Dixie cup which is to go with the whale.

I brought my bag of goodies back to the college and opened it up. It contained unalik (cooked whale blubber), whale meat, tongue, intestine, and a piece of sourdough bread. With much hesitation I tried a bit of unalik. It did not taste any better than the muktuk I tried a couple weeks ago, but this time I did mange to swallow it.

Britt tried some of the whale and was much braver than I was. She ate the unalik, meat, and intestine. She liked everything except the intestine which I guess was a bit too chewy for her.

Below are some pictures recapturing the experience.










Staying whale free,

Cassandra

1 comment: