Real World Barrow

This is the true story of 5 gusties, picked to student teach in Barrow, Alaska... working together and having their lives changed forever to find out what happens when we stop teaching in Minnesota and start teaching in Barrow...this is the Real World: Barrow.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What a rose can say

Last night was the eighth grade promotion. A night where eighth graders celebrate the end of their elementary and junior high years and transition to high school with a "clean slate." Promotion is a big deal here. For some, it maybe the last time they 'graduate' from school. For others, it's just a stepping stone for what is to come. Tony Bissen, a former Gustie, was the guest speaker. His message: High school is a place to start over and become a new you. You can leave your educational frustrations behind and change your attitude. He stressed that high school takes up a sliver of life with approximately 670 days and that a person who would live to be 100 years of age would have lived approximately 27,000 days. That for the next 670 days, they would come to school and learn something.

The ceremony was filled with musical talents (the Star Spangled Banner would have cracked anyone up), speeches, Inupiat dances, smiles, a rap about Eben Hopson ("Education is the key to success!!") and awkwardness (it's adolescence, come on!). If there are a few things that I have notice about graduations on the North Slope, it's that a) leis of flower and candy are popular on a graduate's neck, b) be prepared for bi/trilingual speeches and Inupiat dances, and c) the segment in the middle of the ceremony called the Rose Ceremony.

Graduates spend a TON of money to buy roses and give them to people who have been special to them in their recent success and accomplishment (Sorry if you were thinking the rose ceremony on the Bachelor/Bachelorette). Some view the rose ceremony as a waste of time and money. The ceremony literally stops and can be delayed for long periods of time *cough cough High School Graduation* cough 25 minutes cough cough**. I saw a recent high school graduate recruit a younger sibling to help carry her roses...there must have been over 40 roses...with each rose costing $4.50 a pop...you do the math, but then again, they have money to spend. So besides roses 'saying' "I'm expensive and I die quickly", it says congrats, I love you, you mean a lot to me, thank you for being so kind, have a great day, I miss you, farewell....just think about all the things a rose can say.

Our friend at the college, Doria, has a little sister who is an eighth grader. I've gotten to known her little sister very well in the past few weeks. I've attended church with her, gone to a few bonfires, and have seen her randomly across town where we've struck up conversations. With that being said, I was surprised to receive a rose from her during the rose ceremony at the promotion. I was touched and if I wasn't so filled joy for she was dressed in a beautiful dress and hair nicely done, I would have shed a few tears. I wasn't expecting one. I went to a) see Doria's little sister get promoted, b) to see what a "promotion" looks like, and c) to become more involved in the community--not to be a recipient of a rose. Meredith also a got a few roses from her students, which was AWESOME!!! (MK "Oh no! The petals are falling off. BH "Kind of like Sleeping Beauty, right?" Awkward pause followed by MK's laughter and my realization of mixing up two Disney classics)

I made Doria's little sister a card for the occasion quoting my favorite all time quote by Marianne Williams.
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?"

The quote has helped me overcome many life struggles and I hope it does the same for her, for I can't help but feel that we have shared and experienced similar family situations. I'll stop it right here for I could go on and write a novel about my experiences so here's the end of my last 'assigned' entry: To the Hopson Middle School Class of 2011, congrats!

Be Kind, Rewind.
Brit
10-4 over-and-out. kaahhhhsshhh (static sound)

1 comment:

  1. Its just like Sleeping Beauty.... pause pause. bahahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete